Raj’s Z32 Twin Turbo

I first saw Raj's TT shortly after he bought it when he had me around to do an oil, filters, and spark plug change, as well as checking compression. The engine was fairly healthy showing 145-150 across the board on a dry compression test, but it had an obvious oil leak from the rocker covers, as well as problems accessing the ECU via the diagnostic port that suggested further electrical faults.

Raj bought it around just after the New Year to get some TLC and bling.

First of all the brakes were stripped down for the calipers and rotors to be painted and the inner fender linings refurbished with some fresh plasti dip.

IMG_4546

IMG_4581

I went with VHT red, then sanded back the Nissan logo to a bright alloy finish before clearing and baking. The finished result is very tidy. The pic below also gives you a glimpse of just how good the freshened up fender liners look.

IMG_4590

 

Raj already had a TwinZ Front Bumper, and had his eye on a few bits and pieces to complete the kit. A set of side skirts were next to be fitted while the car was still up in the air. These were installed using the TwinZ supplied stainless steel self-tapping screws. Fitment is very good straight out of the box and they were fairly easy to install.

IMG_4541

Like most Z owners, Raj was sick of night driving with the stock headlights, so I also fit a set of 35w HIDs to the low beams. The ballasts were installed under the nose panel (that high density foam tape is there to eliminate any noise from the ballast touching the intake pipe) with stainless steel M4 rivet nuts, and some weatherpak connectors were used to keep things tidy under the bonnet.

IMG_4557

 

IMG_4571

 

These connectors are waterproof and rated to 20a -they're more than up to the job and I MUCH prefer this standard of installation compared to simply jamming spade connectors into the OEM socket plugs.

Keen observers will have noticed in the pic above that the OEM recirc valves have been blocked off. This was done by the previous owner without adding any other form of venting (ie blow off valves) to the system, so I sourced a set of second hand GFB hybrid BOV's, cleaned and resealed them, and installed as shown below. I'm really impressed with these BOVs, they're not too loud and they don't cause any issues with stalling etc that are sometimes associated with cars running MAF sensors.

IMG_4696

 

Raj had previously fit an OEM airbox for compliance reasons, so we replaced this with a nice Apexi air filter.

IMG_4609

 

On to the oil leak -with the plenum removed it was obvious that a few corners had been cut by the last person to work on the motor. A few bolts and washers were missing; no wonder it had leaks.

IMG_4568

 

Whomever had installed the alarm system had mounted the siren in place of the throttle cable bracket, and used self tappers to mount the throttle cable bracket higher up the tower. I moved the siren to the vacant EGR/AIV solenoid bracket, put the throttle cable back where it belongs, and used the holes that had been drilled into the shock tower to mount the (aftermarket) boost sensor solenoid pictured below. Luckily the holes were about right for a 4mm rivet nut, and the solenoid is much happier mounted out of the way than it was banging around on the passenger side turbo where I found it...

IMG_4569

 

Here we are all pulled apart.

 

IMG_4570

 

The wiring was a bit of a mess with plenty of terminated wires throughout the OEM loom, as well as a large two core wire that had been added in at some stage. Below is some of the mess on the drivers side, you may notice that the previous owner has soldered the VTC solenoid wire into the OEM loom (for reasons best known to himself....). There were a few exposed wires in this section that had to be repaired.

IMG_4601

 

And this is my favourite -somewhere in here are the wires for the drivers side oxygen sensor plug. Again the previous onwer had simply removed the connector from the body side of the harness, meaning that while the sensor was there it had nothing to plug in to.

IMG_4603

I managed to locate the signal wire and suitable power/earth wires and solder in a second hand connection. It even works 🙂

IMG_4607

With the cam covers re-sealed and given a quick coat of engine enamel everything came back together nicely.

IMG_4600

And starting to look more like a car. The upper fuel rail has been deleted and Dayco (USA) rubber hose now runs direct from the filter to the damper, and from the reg to the return line. It's the little things that help to reduce clutter in the engine bay.

IMG_4606

 

Raj wanted to plasti dip his wheels; while I was sceptical at first they came out looking great. Yes I did the front of the wheels while they were on the car so as to coat the wheel nuts as well.

 

IMG_4598

 

The final touch was the addition of a TwinZ P-Spec front lip to complete the aero package. I wanted to be able to remove the lip without too much hassle if needed (for example to access ramps of a jack), so I inserted some more stainless rivet nuts into the fiberglass bar and then bolted the lip to these. The end result is a very firm fixture that can easily be removed and refit multiple times without damage to the fiberglass parts.

IMG_4638

 

IMG_4640

IMG_4641

No Comments Yet.

Leave a comment